Law Firm Branding: What is Branding?
We hear it all the time, “the word branding, but what does it mean? Is it the firm’s name? Is it a firm’s logo? Is it their advertisements? Is it their values posted on their website?” The answer to all of these questions is yes, but not individually. A successful law firm brand is your firm’s idea that is perceived by clients’ trust and experience. A successful brand has the brand image and identity in sync so that your law firm’s value and promise are reflected throughout the client experience.
Brand Image (Brand Essence, Personality) + Brand Identity = Brand.
The brand image can be divided into three parts.
First, establishing brand essence. Brand essence is the heart of your brand. What is your law firm values and vision? What promise will you keep to your clients? What personality will your firm have to help satisfy those customers’ needs and desires?
The second part of the brand image is value proposition. Understanding your clients and market are essential to establishing trust and differentiation.
The last section is brand personality. Based on the brand essence and value proposition, we can determine the best personality to bring the firm to life.
After the brand image is established, your firm will want the brand identity to match. Brand identity includes but not limited to visuals like logos, colors, typography, and business cards that a law firm uses to connect with its audience visually.
A successful brand needs to meet these seven goals:
- Emotions – What types of emotions do we want to establish with your clients?
- Desires – What desires will your firm satisfy for your clients?
- Differentiation – How can you stand out from other law firms?
- Trust – How can you establish trust in your law firm?
- Value – What are the core values of your firm? Do your clients share the same values?
- Connection – Law firms will want to connect with the outside world. How can your law firm share your clients’ emotions with the outside world?
- Belongingness – How can you connect and reflect your clients within your brand? You want your clients and community to feel like they are a part of your brand.
Successful Law Firm Branding Steps
- Your Law Firm Idea/Creation – What value will your law firm bring? What are your practice areas and goals?
Your law firm will need to have a mission and vision statement created that will align with your firm’s purpose.
- Positioning – What position do you have in the market? Who are your competitors and what differentiates your firm from others?
- Personality – As what type of person do you want your brand to be perceived? What tone will messaging have? How will this personality satisfy the branding goals listed above?
- Idea of attractiveness – Brand Identity. Establishing your color palette, logo, typography, iconography, photography, and more. These visual identifiers of your brand will be synced with your positioning and personality.
- Communication – Rolling out the brand. How will your law firm connect to your clients and the world? Ads, websites, billboards, speaking engagements, and more are all ways for your law firm to communicate with the outside world.