Google+ Shutting Down in April 2019
Google is Killing the Google+ Social Network
Google+ is (was) Google’s attempt at creating a social platform to compete with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Launched in June 2011, Google+ has had many ups, downs, and pivots throughout the platform’s life cycle.
It’s been linked to and disconnected from Google My Business (previously Google Places), Google Hangouts (RIP), Google Photos, and a slew of other Google products. In short, Google attempted to connect it to everything at one point or another.
In October 2018, Google cited low user engagement and announced they were shutting down Google+ by the end of 2019.
In December 2018, they accelerated their timeline to shut down by April 2019 due to bugs and security concerns.
Should You Be Worried?
I’d safely bet that 99% of people reading this don’t use Google+ at all. Even if you do copy your Facebook posts to Google+ Circles, there’s nothing to save or transfer or export or worry about.
Let Google+ die, and be happy you didn’t waste time in a social network ghost town.
What You Need To Do
While Google+ is appropriately being killed off, Google My Business has absorbed many of its best qualities. If you’re not already taking advantage, you absolutely should be leveraging the following features through Google My Business:
- Posts – Publish announcements, deals, and more directly on your GMB page.
- Follow Button – People can follow your business, and be notified of updates & posts.
- Q&A – Users can ask (and answer) questions about your business. Watch these closely!
- Messaging – People can message your business straight from your GMB page.
- Photos & Videos – Not new, but a major factor in promoting your business.
- Reviews – Not from Google+ but you can’t talk about GMB without talking about reviews. Go get some!
The elimination of Google+ is long overdue, but if you’re already using Google My Business to its full potential you have absolutely nothing to fear. And, if you’re underutilizing some of the features highlighted above, now would be the perfect time to start.
Leave a Reply